What are Engineering Master’s (MEng) Degrees?

Victor Okoma

Follow Us

The MEng program is a technical degree that demands an extra year of study and results in a greater qualification than the classical BEng program.

The Engineering Master’s program is also a faster and more direct path to boarded engineer positions than the BEng program. Therefore, keep reading if you want to know more about the MEng.

What is an MEng?

The MEng is a specialized Masters of Engineering degree. Students pursuing an MEng often just aspire to become degreed engineers or work in areas related to engineering.

As an outcome, MEng programs are typically certified by various authorities in charge of supervising these professions.


Various nations have their own titles and layouts for the Engineering Master’s degree, but they all share the very same basic characteristics.

An appropriate professional organization will normally accredit an MEng. In certain nations, proper professional accreditation requires extra work-based preparation after receiving an MEng.

Read also: What is a Master of Research (MRes) Degree? (Expert Answer)

READ:  What is a Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE)?

What are the admission requirements for an engineering master’s degree?

The specific admission requirements for a Masters in Engineering will differ depending on if the curriculum is an undergraduate or postgraduate qualification:


An integrated MEng will be awarded after a bachelor application process (through UCAS or its equivalent). You’ll need appropriate A-Levels (or other secondary qualifications) in courses and grades specified by your university.

A relevant bachelor’s degree is necessary for a postgraduate MEng. Your university may require a BEng (Bachelors in Engineering), especially if you are pursuing a specialized MSc (Eng).

What is an MSc (Eng)?

Institutions in the United Kingdom, where the MEng is an integrated Master’s degree, frequently offer’standalone’ Masters degrees in engineering. These programs are for students who already have an undergraduate degree and want to pursue a career as an engineer.

READ:  How to Find the Right PhD Programs Without Master's

Postgraduate engineering curricula will typically be specialized MSc degrees, as opposed to four-year MEng programs. They are frequently referred to as ‘MSc (Eng).’


An MSc (Eng) might provide knowledge and experience comparable to an MEng when blended with an adequate bachelor’s degree. An MSc (Eng) degree will also arrange for further professional accreditation with the UK Engineering Council.

Read also: What is Master of Philosophy (MPhil) Degree – Full Guide

What are the entry requirements for an MSc (Eng)?

An MSc (Eng) is a postgraduate certification, as opposed to an MEng. This implies that you must have an appropriate bachelor’s degree in order to apply.

READ:  A Master of Science (MSC) Degree: What You Need to Know

Typically, this degree must be in engineering or a technology field.


MEng vs MSc (Eng)

It is entirely possible to train as an engineer at the postgraduate level in the United Kingdom (without an integrated MEng). However, you should ensure that the Master’s degree you apply for will lead to professional accreditation. Typically, this entails pursuing an MSc (Eng). A standard MSc in engineering may be an academic qualification rather than a professional one.

The decision between an MEng and an MSc (Eng) will most likely be influenced by your personal circumstances and career objectives.

If you’re starting university and are certain you want to be an engineer, an integrated MEng will usually make sense. This will give you a solid foundation in the subject over four years and will prepare you for full chartered engineer status (in the UK).

READ:  What is a Master of Research (MRes) Degree?

If you already have a bachelor’s degree, the decision will be for you. A postgraduate MSc (Eng) will be a far more efficient route to qualification than re-enrolling as an undergraduate.


Read also: Part-Time vs Full-Time Masters: Which is Best? (Expert Answer)

What are the alternative names for the MEng?

The concept ‘MEng’ is often common in the United Kingdom and the United States. Other nations might as well choose their own titles to differentiate professional engineering disciplines from academic Master’s degrees like the MSc.

The following are the main global names for a Masters in Engineering:

  • ‘Diploma in Engineering.’ Several European countries use variations on this title. They could be referring to a newer graduate school engineering master’s degree or an ancient integrated degree that precedes the Bologna Process.
  • ‘Master of Technology (MTech) In India and a few other countries in Asia, this name is being used. It is a professional Masters degree in Engineering and Technology conferred by academic fields.
READ:  Can I do MBA after MS?

Integrated MEng Degrees

The Engineering Master’s, despite being just a Masters degree, is often not a graduate school certification.


Integrated MEng programs are available in many countries. These start at the undergraduate level and then last four years (the equivalent of a bachelor’s and a master’s). This is true in the United Kingdom and in certain areas of Europe.

Other MEng programs are standard postgraduate degrees. They last up to two years and necessarily involve an existing bachelor’s degree (in engineering or a related subject).

Read also: What is an Integrated Masters Degree – Full Guide


Leave a comment